Nueva Aldea Project

Projoect Detail

  • País: Ñuble Province, Bío-Bío Region, Chile
  • Categoría: Energy (renewable / non-renewable)

Nueva Aldea Project

This project consists of electricity generation using biomass, being the first large scale project of the Chilean forestry industry certified under the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM). It is located in the Ñuble Province, Bío-Bío Region, Chile.

The biomass includes by-products and waste (e.g. sawdust, bark, etc) resulting from the processing of forest products, with which all the energy needed by the plant is generated, making it a self-sustaining plant.

Since the generation capacity of the project is greater than that required by the plant itself, the company purchases residues from other local organizations. Thus, it promotes the reuse of waste and the generation of renewable energy, contributing to environment protection, and economic and social development within the region.

Reusing industrial waste, and therefore, preventing its accumulation, decomposition and consequent methane emission; the 60% of the Nueva Aldea sawmill energy demand is covered. The remaining 40% is allocated to the Central Interconnected System (SIC), contributing this way to the diversification of the energy matrix of the country, delivering cleaner energy, and reducing CO<sub>2</sub> emissions by replacing the use of fossil fuels.